Try 1 month for 99¢

HERSHEY — The Hershey Bears were unable to find the back of the net, falling 4-0 to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Wednesday night at Giant Center.

The loss moved Hershey's winless streak to six games. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender Anthony Peters stopped all 18 shots he faced to record his first career AHL shutout.

Despite a 9-4 edge in shots for Hershey in the opening 20 minutes, the opportunistic Penguins hit pay-dirt twice before the game was 10 minutes old. At only 3:40, Zach Aston-Reese scored on a break to the net on a delayed penalty. The rush developed after Bears' defender Colby Williams was caught pinched high in the neutral zone, leaving Aston-Resse open in the slot.

The Penguins doubled their lead on their very next shot at 9:14. After a bounce off the end boards, Jarrett Burton swatted the loose puck from a tight angle, and glanced it off Hershey netminder Pheonix Copley and into the goal.

Hershey's 2-0 hole stood until the third period, when Wilkes-Barre/Scranton tacked on two more markers to put the game out of reach. At 10:54, former Bear Christian Thomas buried his 12th goal of the season.

At the 12:01 mark, Zach Trotman scored on an odd-man rush after snapping a shot past the glove side of Copley. Copley finished the night stopping 17 of 21 shots, and the Bears' power play also finished the night 0-for-6 on the man-advantage.

Hershey's last win remains a 3-0 shutout win over the Charlotte Checkers on Jan. 7.

The four-goal win for the Pens ties the highest win margin over the Bears in the seven head-to-head matchups during the regular season. The Penguins also beat the Bears by four goals in a 5-1 decision on Nov. 12.

The Bears record falls to 17-19-3-4, while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton improves to 25-11-3-1.

Hershey returns to the ice Friday at the Providence Bruins. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.