{{featured_button_text}}

Asked/Answered is a weekly feature for reader-submitted questions. Follow the blog online at www.cumberlink.com:

What’s the status of the Wolf Bridge replacement project?

Wolf Bridge, which carries Wolf Bridge Road over the Conodoguinet Creek in Middlesex Township, was closed in 2013 after significant deterioration was found in the bridge’s support system.

It will likely be a few more years before the bridge is replaced and ready for traffic again.

“We really recognize it really is an inconvenience having the bridge closed,” Kirk Stoner, director of planning for Cumberland County, said in 2017. “No one likes it. We don’t like it. ... It does us no good to delay projects. We don’t enjoy trying to move these things ahead and have the roadblocks come up.”

Replacement is projected to be completed between spring and summer 2020, according to Cumberland County’s website.

However, the site adds that projection is tentative and subject to change.

The project is projected to cost roughly $3.5 million.

Stoner told The Sentinel in 2017 that Cumberland County is expected to pay only 5 percent of the cost. State and federal funds account for the other 95 percent.

“It’s a pretty good financial deal for us and for the greater Cumberland County community,” he said.

However, he said those dollars come with strings attached that can slow up the works. The county has had to conduct studies to determine if protected mussels and turtles reside near the bridge.

The mussel survey, which involved documenting how many mussels were in the area and relocating them, cost the county roughly $15,000 in 2016.

“For $15,000, give me some waders and a bucket and I’ll go do it myself,” County Commissioner Vince DiFilippo quipped during a commissioners meeting in 2016 when the study was discussed.

Wolf Bridge is a steel through truss structure that was built in 1895.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

A full listing of county bridge projects can found on the county’s website at http://gis.ccpa.net/storymaps/bridges/.

Send us your questions

Need an answer? We can help.

The Sentinel wants to know what you have always wanted to know.

Whether it’s politics, crime, history or just something you’ve always been curious about, if you have questions, The Sentinel will look for the answer and provide it in our online blog and as a weekly feature in the Sentinel print edition.

Shoot us an email at frontdoor@cumberlink.com, call 240-7125 or stop by the office to submit your questions.

The best questions will be featured in weekly Asked/Answered columns online and in print.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Email Joshua Vaughn at jvaughn@cumberlink.com. Follow him on Twitter at @Sentinel_Vaughn.

0
0
0
0
3