The South Middleton Township supervisors approved plans for the final phase of the Parkview at Boiling Springs housing development on Thursday night, while also addressing related concerns about wellhead zone protection and construction blasting.
The board approved final subdivision and land development plans for Parkview’s third phase that is composed of 27 single-family home lots on 21.7 acres at East York Road and Springville Road. The development is located off Route 174 near Spring Meadows Park in a residential moderate zoning district.
With completion of this third and final phase, the Parkview development will consist of a total of 89 homes, said attorney Jennifer Smith of Dawood Engineers. Project engineer Bony Dawood was unable to attend Thursday’s meeting, Smith said.
Township supervisors approved the plans contingent upon further review by the township’s manager, solicitor and other officials.
Parkview’s third phase will be built within a wellhead protection zone that’s under more stringent regulations than the project’s first two phases. Two existing municipal water towers sit in close proximity to the project’s third phase, connected to underground mains leading to a municipal well in neighboring Spring Meadows Park.
Township engineer Brian O’Neill said an existing township ordinance stipulates that developers must “minimize the disturbance of removing trees” in wellhead protection zones. As a result, Parkview developers are required to maintain a forested area outside of a planned cul-de-sac. The forested area also must be protected by a fence.
O’Neill also said construction blasting may not take place in Parkview without prior approval from the township and the state Department of Environmental Protection.
Blasting at Parkview became an issue for the township in August 2017 when about 20 residents from Indian Hills and other surrounding areas complained to township supervisors about bedrock blasting taking place during construction of the second phase of Parkview. Aside from the resulting noise, residents said they were concerned about the soundness of their homes’ walls and foundations after being shaken by the blasts.
O’Neill said subcontractors proceeded with blasting without township permission last year after a geologist’s report “recommended” no blasting in the area but didn’t actually prohibit it. Thursday night’s board action will “make it clear that blasting (there) is prohibited,” O’Neill said.
In other news, township supervisors approved a disaster declaration for the municipality in the wake of reports about Hurricane Florence striking the Southeast coast. Township manager Cory Adams said the declaration will remain in place “for as long as necessary,” but added that it appeared on Thursday night that the storm could steer clear of Pennsylvania.
Although all township roads were open on Thursday, Adams said the area’s grounds are still saturated from previous rains where flooding occurred.
“A disaster declaration enables us to make emergency purchases and allows us to activate emergency protocol,” Adams said.