The Carlisle Y’s Men’s and Women’s Social Club recently celebrated 75 years of service to the community.
The club began in late fall 1943 after a group of local men invited members of the Harrisburg chapter to Carlisle to brief them on the goals of the International Association of Y’s Men’s Clubs.
This week’s Tour through Time focuses on this club which obtained its official charter on Dec. 22, 1943, and has been active ever since raising money to benefit local children and Y’s Men’s club activities worldwide.
What started as a club for men later expanded to include a Junior Y’s Men’s Club. Local women formed a Y’s Menettes Club which organized its own projects and worked side-by-side with the men. The International Association later changed the rules and allowed women to join.
For years, the local club has owned an 87-acre farm which the Carlisle Family YMCA uses as a day camp. To support its projects and upkeep on the camp, the local club sells Christmas trees and wreaths as well as cotton candy.
In a tradition going back to 1982, the Carlisle club holds a Lenten Breakfast every March with the cooperation of over 35 local churches. At its peak, this annual event drew over 600 people to a worship service of song, prayer, Scripture readings, a message and Holy Communion.
Local members also participate in the Time of Fast program where they fast and offer monetary contributions to help those less fortunate. Other programs supported locally include the Youth Educational Exchange Program where children have the opportunity to live aboard for a school year and the Paul W. Alexander Scholarship fund for young people seeking a YMCA career.
Tour Through Time runs every Saturday in The Sentinel print edition. Reporter Joseph Cress will work with the Cumberland County Historical Society each week to look at the county through the years. Send any questions, future ideas or tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.