The only real job requirement was a desire to keep alive the memory of American war dead by encouraging others to wear a memorial poppy.
Thousands of people lined High Street from Belvedere to Spring Garden streets to watch a parade that included troops from across the area and state.
It was May 12, 1966, and The Sentinel was reporting on the results of a Mother’s Day contest sponsored by the Retail Merchants Bureau of the chamber.
Before it even took shape, the building was hailed as the world’s largest and most efficient float glass plant designed to produce 200 million square feet of product each year.
It was the perfect time of year to include “Prom Jump” in a hit parade of musical selections.
In a touch of irony, over a period of five days, Carlisle hosted soldiers who liberated prisoners and prisoners who liberated themselves.
The weather was near perfect as a record number of fishermen swamped local waterways early on the morning of Wednesday, April 15, 1959.
Tour Through Time: Shiloh Church in Carlisle received the old alarm bell salvaged from the Market House demolition in 1952
For 50 years, the alarm bell served as the community fire alarm alerting first-responders to any number of emergencies throughout the borough.
Tour Through Time: Composer impressed by rendition of his opera performed by Carlisle Indian Industrial School students
In an interview with the newspaper, Eldredge announced plans to push musical director Claude Stauffer to reduce the cast to around 50 performers to make it easier to take the production on tour.
The Sentinel made a big deal out of Steve Myers being a part of the Carlisle High School dance band scheduled to perform the evening of Feb. 8, 1964.
It was an exhibit 10 months in the making for Boy Scout Troop 82 of New Cumberland.
“The rapidly tumbling mercury dealt the state a crippling blow within hours of the heaviest snowfall of the season,” The Sentinel reported. “More than five inches fell on many sections [on Wednesday, Feb. 2]."
The South Middleton Township native was the guest speaker during the annual dinner meeting of the Carlisle Fire Police on Feb. 5, 1952. The Sentinel was there to cover the event.
The organization that became the Washington Fire Company was formed after a hand pump fire engine arrived in Mechanicsburg on Dec. 29, 1857.
Party guests, old and young, were treated to tokens of affection before and during Valentine’s Day 1967.
The Cumberland County Historical Society offers an annual look at Christmases past in Carlisle and the surrounding area.
As a boy, Vincent Figueroa remembered Theodore Roosevelt not as a U.S. President, but as a colonel in the U.S. Army during the Spanish American War.
For almost a year, Master Sgt. David H. Zimmerman had a strong feeling that war with Japan was just over the horizon.
Born in Shippensburg in 1889, Phillips was the son of a well-to-do family with roots in Shippensburg, Washington, D.C., and New York.
Built in 1840, the Farmer’s Academy operated until 1954 when it students were transferred to North Dickinson Elementary School.
“We meet on this occasion with knowledge of the threat of freedom which exists in the world today,” Coover said in 1964. “We gather with a calm determination that this monstrous threat shall not prevail, now, or ultimately.”
The Sentinel reported on Aug. 29, 1953, that Sgt. Harrison J. Schlusser, 23, was safe again in American hands at Freedom Village, a settlement along the Demilitarized Zone.
Here are 10 great gift ideas that are sure to please everyone on your list.
For those seeking jobs, opportunities can be found with a little patience and ingenuity
August “Gus” Lookaround was a promising young rookie when he tried out for the Carlisle Indian School football team in September 1912.
Dickinson College hosted Student Army Training Corps units during World War I and World War II as a precursor to the establishment of its Army ROTC program during the height of the Korean War in 1952.
A project of the Retail Merchants Bureau of the Carlisle Chamber of Commerce, the event was an opportunity for local companies to showcase the diversity of their manufactured products.
Tour Through Time: Well-traveled church official was keynote speaker at Intercultural Council meeting in Carlisle
On May 8, 1947, William Barrow Pugh was the keynote speaker at the quarterly meeting of the Carlisle Intercultural Council held at the Second Presbyterian Church.
Carlisle welcomed a visit by Aunt Jemima during a fundraiser in 1958 to raise money for LeTort Park improvements.
In late April 1948, Dickinson College built a busy schedule of activities around the celebration of its 175th anniversary.
On April 17, 1909, a return to Normal meant something entirely different to the alumni of the teachers’ college in Shippensburg.
The Carlisle-based company sent out invitations to all its employees to attend an Easter sunrise service at 5:30 a.m. at the venue atop South Mountain.