The Sentinel has compiled a collection of profiles looking at some of Cumberland County’s oldest buildings that are still standing today.
Starting Oct. 19, one profile will run in The Sentinel print edition every day over the next two weeks. The Building Blocks of History collection will be updated each day online as well at cumberlink.com
Many 18th century structures have fallen into disrepair or been torn down over the years, and they have not been included on this list. Information from that era is limited and precise dates of construction can be difficult to pinpoint.
The history of the Ironmaster’s Mansion at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Gardners traces back to an industrious era in Cumberland County.
Most of East Pennsboro Township was farmland until the 20th century. The Peter Boyer House represents some of the only agricultural architectu…
The construction of Dickinson College’s Old West, located at 272 W. High St. in Carlisle, began in May 1803 when architect Benjamin Henry Latr…
The Frankenberger Tavern has undergone extensive renovations since it was constructed, but today has largely been restored to its original condition.
By the time of his death in 1790, Matthew Miller had acquired nearly 600 acres of land in Middlesex Township and at least another 1,000 acres in and outside of Pennsylvania.
Customers of Best Buy at Silver Spring Square probably aren’t aware that they are doing their shopping within close proximity to a remnant of …
Children’s Lake in Boiling Springs has been used as a recreation spot for centuries. As far back as 1875, a local man named Robert Wise operat…
The Meeting House of the Silver Spring Presbyterian Church was built in 1783. It underwent several renovations and was restored to its origina…
In the 18th century, the Carlisle area was the site of a major logistics base for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
The small stone building that sits off Dickinson Avenue beside First United Church of Christ in Carlisle is known locally as “the Butler Gun Shop.”
The Widow Piper’s Tavern on South Queen Street in Shippensburg was the first permanent multi-story structure to be built west of the Susquehan…