State Police at Newport (717-567-3110)
You have free articles remaining.
- Three people were injured after a two-vehicle crash on Spring Road at Youngs Church Road in Carroll Township at 2:14 p.m. Aug. 29. Police said James Yohn, 69, of Shermans Dale, was driving a 2019 Chevrolet Equinox north on Spring Road when he failed to stop behind a 2001 Subaru Forester, driven by Joseph Rohrer, 59, of Elliottsburg, who was stopped waiting to make a left turn. The collision forced the Forester into a fence, and the Equinox hit a creek embankment. Rohrer was extricated from the vehicle and taken to UPMC Pinnacle West Shore with suspected serious injuries. Yohn was taken to Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospital with suspected serious injuries, and his passenger, Barbara Yohn, 68, of Shermans Dale, was also transported to Holy Spirit with minor injuries. Yohn was cited for following too closely.
- One person was injured after a one-vehicle crash in the 900 block of Kennedy Valley Road in Tyrone Township at 9:16 p.m. Aug. 29. Police sale Merle Matthews Jr., 50, of Landisburg, was driving a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 when the vehicle left the road and struck a tree. Matthews attempted to drive the vehicle up an embankment to get back to the road, but that caused the vehicle to slide farther down the embankment. Police said Matthews, who had minor injuries, left the vehicle and did not report the crash to police.
- A trash can was stolen from North 4th Street in Newport. Police received the report on Aug. 29.
- Waldi Cuello, 25, of Huntingdon, was charged with transient—failure to register with State Police and failure to verify address after a traffic stop at 11:50 a.m. Aug. 29 on Route 22/322 in Howe Township. Police said Cuello was a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped for speeding and a left lane violation. Police found that Cuello had failed to update his information on 11 occasions under Megan’s Law requirements. He was arrested and arraigned, and bail was set at $10,000, which he was unable to post. He remains in Perry County Prison, and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 6.
- One person was injured after a one-vehicle crash on Susquehanna Trail in Buffalo Township at 6:28 a.m. Aug. 20. Police said Melissa Roberts, 34, of Mechanicsburg, was driving a 2017 Honda Civic north on Susquehanna Trail when she entered the dividing median and hit a concrete barrier, causing the vehicle to go airborne. The vehicle hit the southbound lanes, exited the left side of the road and struck a residence. Roberts suffered minor injuries and was transported to Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospital.
- Police said a 71-year-old Marysville woman was scammed out of $4,500 on Aug. 22 after she purchased five Amazon gift cards valued at $1,500. Police did not specify the details of the scam.