With the help of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, The Sentinel asked the managers of the three state parks in the county to share what they considered the top activities at the park or the top reasons to visit the park.
Top 10 reasons to visit Kings Gap
Scott Hackenburg, manager
1. The road. Getting here is half the fun.
2. The 100-plus year old Cameron-Masland Mansion including weekend overnights.
3. The scenic view of the Cumberland Valley
4. The serenity of the mountain
5. Twenty plus miles of well-maintained hiking trails
6. Secluded group tenting area
7. The programs.
8. The Mansion Garden
9. A great place for a wedding.
10. The food.
Jeffrey Johns, manager
1. Hike to Flat Rock/hiking
4. Boating — kayaking and canoeing
Pine Grove Furnace
Michael Kutzmonich, manager
1. Take a hike. The park has some nice shorter hikes that show a variety of ecosystems. The Appalachian Trail comes through the park providing a trailhead and convenient overnight parking for hikers, as well as access to facilities including the general store. The park is easy access to many miles of trails in the Michaux State Forest
2. Swimming. The park has two swimming areas, Laurel Lake and Fuller Lake with sand beaches and full facilities.
3. Fishing. With two lakes, the Mountain Creek running through the park, as well as other high-quality tributaries in the park and adjacent state forest, the park is a great place to fish for warm water and cold water species, offering simple “bobber” fishing to fly fishing.