This week The Sentinel takes a Closer Look at emergency services consolidation in Cumberland County:
- Why are so many emergency service providers talking about consolidation?
- What are local fire companies doing to regionalize, and why has the idea met resistance?
- Could one countywide fire department work in Pennsylvania?
- How does Northern York Regional Police Department cover 150 square miles effectively?
- How could a regional high school emergency services training program provide needed manpower to local fire companies and EMS organizations?
(5) updates to this series since
It’s becoming a reality in Shippensburg, under discussion in Carlisle, and causing waves in Mechanicsburg. Discussions range from fire and EMS…
This story has been corrected to include the correct title of Carlisle Fire Department President Michael Snyder.
The patient has an ugly burn on his hand from a mishap with a toaster. As the emergency medical technician on-scene begins to treat the patien…
In northern York County, one police department covers 150 square miles and eight municipalities.
Cumberland County has 33 fire companies for a population of about 250,000. Frederick County, Maryland, featuring a population 258,000, has just one.