Penn State Health Life Lion Critical Care Transport has a new helicopter in its fleet.

The newest aircraft is the largest aeromedical helicopter in the state.

The H155 model, developed by Airbus, is one of three owned by Penn State Health. The dual-engine helicopter has an especially large interior cabin, allowing for more crew members and medical specialists to accompany patients and administer care, the health system said in a news release.

“By regularly updating our aircraft and our capabilities, we increase our capacity to treat and transport even the most critically ill and injured patients,” said Dr. Jeffrey Lubin, division chief for pre-hospital and transport medicine at Penn State Health. “We are also committed to maintaining the highest levels of safety and continuing our commitment to providing cutting-edge air medical resources to the communities we serve.”

Life Lion has been in operation since 1986, and the health system said it has flown more than 40,000 patients. About 30 percent of Life Lion’s flights are trauma-related and the other 70 percent are inter-hospital transports of both patients and organs for transplant.