PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Pheonix Copley made 39 saves and Chris Bourque scored a pair of power-play goals, including the game-winner 7:14 into overtime, as Hershey defeated Providence 2-1 in Game 3 of the Atlantic Division Finals on Thursday night.
The Bears, now 4-0 on the road this postseason, take a 2-1 series lead into Game 4 on Friday in Providence.
Bourque, the former P-Bruin, wristed a shot past Zane McIntyre from the bottom of the right-wing circle for the third playoff overtime goal of his AHL career. Bourque, who moved into sole possession of second place all-time by playing in his 129th career Calder Cup Playoff contest, had tied the game 1:42 into the third, burying a rebound of a Travis Boyd shot to make it 1-1.
Providence opened the scoring in Game 3 when Chris Casto took a D-to-D pass from captain Tommy Cross, skated to the top of the right-wing circle and snapped a shot past Copley at 8:47 of the first period for his first goal in 27 career Calder Cup Playoff games.
But that would be the only blemish on a terrific night from Copley (5-3), who shut the door the rest of the way while Providence finished with a 40-15 advantage in shots. McIntyre (4-4) made 13 saves.
Atlantic Division Finals (best-of-7)
- Game 1 – Sat., May 6 – Providence 3, HERSHEY 1
- Game 2 – Sun., May 7 – HERSHEY 3, Providence 2 (OT)
- Game 3 – Thu., May 11 – Hershey 2, PROVIDENCE 1 (OT)
- Game 4 – Fri., May 12 – Hershey at Providence, 7:05
- Game 5 – Sun., May 14 – Hershey at Providence, 3:05
- *Game 6 – Tue., May 16 – Providence at Hershey, 7:00
- *Game 7 – Wed., May 17 – Providence at Hershey, 7:00
- *if necessary