The following are a list of municipal Veterans Day events held throughout Cumberland County. This list may not include all scheduled events in the area.
Saturday, Nov. 10
• Carlisle - Carlisle Vietnam Veterans will have their annual all-night vigil at 11 p.m. on the steps of the Old Courthouse in honor and remembrance of all POW-MIAs. Contact Bob Hinkle at 776-4777 for more information.
Sunday, Nov. 11
• Chambersburg – The Annual Community Veterans Day Service will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 11 at the Letterkenny Chapel at the Letterkenny Army Depot. The service is jointly sponsored by the United Churches of the Chambersburg Area and the Joint Veterans’ Council of Chambersburg. The event will feature guest speaker Chaplain Ret. Maj. Gen. David H. Hicks, and a major feature of the service will be the dedication of the Navy Flag and 29 new memorial pavers at the Veterans’ Memorial on the chapel grounds. The service is open to all, and veterans are encouraged to attend in uniform. For more information, contact the Rev. Ray Kauffman at 267-3336 or the Rev. Dr. William Harter at 264-3828.
• Mechanicsburg - VFW Post 7530 will hold a Veterans Day Ceremony, “Honoring Veterans,” at 11 a.m. at the post at 4545 Westport Drive in Mechanicsburg. Lt. Col. Richard A. Fromm will be the guest speaker. Entertainment and refreshments will follow in the post. Contact Dave Barninger at 731-0371 for more information.
• Mt. Holly Springs - American Legion Post 674 will conduct a Veterans Day Ceremony at 1 p.m. at Trine Park. Lt. Col. Jennifer Piolo, U.S. Army War College Class of 2013, will be the guest speaker. Refreshments will be served at the VFW Post 7343 at 424 N Walnut St, Mount Holly Springs. Contact Ed Brannan at 243-2464 for more information.
• Newville – There will be a Veterans Day Service at the fountain in Newville at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11. The guest speaker will be Ret. Capt. Robert Hamer, who served in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. He currently lives with his wife in Green Ridge Village. In inclement weather, the service will be held at the Big Spring Event and Activity Center on 2 Chestnut St.
• Shippensburg - The Joint Veterans Council of Shippensburg (American Legion Post 223 and VFW Post 6168) will host its annual Veterans Day parade. The parade will start at 2 p.m. and form at King and Prince streets, and it will end at King and Morris streets. The parade will be cancelled if there is adverse weather. Contact Wendy Tomczak at 360-3706 for more information.
• Silver Spring Township – The Silver Spring Township Veterans Memorial Committee will host a Veterans Day ceremony on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 1 p.m. in Willow Mill Park. The public is invited to attend. The ceremony will last approximately 45 minutes and honor all veterans and currently active military. It will include a brief speech and homage to veterans with brick donations. Guided tours will also be given of the memorial, and there will be a Central Pennsylvania Blood Bank hosted by the Ahmadiyya Women’s Muslim Group from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Seating is limited, so bring lawn chairs. In case of rain, the ceremony will be held at a nearby covered pavilion in Willow Mill Park, 80 Willow Mill Park Road. More information can be found at www.sstveteransmemorial.com.
Monday, Nov. 12
• Carlisle - The Joint Veterans Council of Carlisle will conduct the Annual Veterans Day Ceremony in the second-floor courtroom of the Old Courthouse at 10 a.m. The Cumberland County Honor Guard will provide a firing squad and bugler. Maj. Gen. Tony A. Cucolo, commandant of the U.S. Army War College, will be the guest speaker. Contact Jim Washington at 226-1966 for more information.
• Mechanicsburg - Mechanicsburg Area Veterans Council (American Legion Post 109 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6704) will conduct Veterans Day ceremonies at 11 a.m. at the GAR Monument, located in the Mechanicsburg Cemetery at the corner of Frederick and Marble streets. In the event of adverse weather, the ceremony will be held at the American Legion Post 109, located at 224 W. Main St. in Mechanicsburg. Lt. Col. Mark D. Stimer, U.S. Army War College Class of 2013, will be the guest speaker. Contact Paul Kreiner at 579-4560 for more information.