This week’s Tour Through Time takes a look at images of the Bellaire Park area along the Conodoguinet Creek in North Middleton Township.
According to a story published in the Shuttle in August 1926, “J.P.Culbertson, then on the stage as ‘Keene, the magician,’ conceived the idea of building a park along the beautiful Conodoguinet for the people of Carlisle, and wherein he could give employment to his company in the summer months, thus keeping them with him the entire year. Together with the late Wm. M. Henderson, owner of the land beginning at Cave Hill and extending up the creek for a distance of one and one-half miles, he began the construction of Bellaire Park in the spring of 1908. Mr. Culberston’s fondness for swimming later led to building of a bath house and a beach.”
Tour Through Time will run Saturdays in the Sentinel as a joint project with the Cumberland County Historical Society. Sentinel photographers will work with staff at the Historical Society each week to offer a look at Carlisle and the surrounding area through the years.
Please contact the Cumberland County Historical Society at 717-249-7610 with any information pertaining to these images. Please send future ideas or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.